My blog can now b found at http://fatherof10.com New format and a different take on things. I will not be posting here any more.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

If I Had to Replace My Mercedes

So, if I had to replace my 1997 Mercedes SL600, what would I get? The other day my wife asked me if I had thought about how long I was going to keep my roadster and I honestly told her that I was so satisfied with it that I hadn't thought about what next. With my previous cars, I was on to thinking about what next fairly quickly. I like the M-B SL600 so much that I am not looking for the next best thing. At least, not yet.

But since she mentioned it, I started to look around just a little. I don't like to buy brand new cars for myself because I find I can get so much more car for the money if I buy used or vintage. That tactic has enabled me to own a 2001 Cadillac STS, a 2001 M-B CLK55 AMG and a 1997 M-B SL600 . . . all together for less than the price of a Cadillac STS. That is over $265,000 worth of cars for less than $60,000.

In response to my looking around, here is what I have come up with as a nice replacement for the Benz:


A 2001 Ferrari 456M (GT)


Here is some info:
The 456M GT is a 2+2 berlinetta coupe, which means it has a snug two-place rear seat in addition to the customary front buckets. As the company puts it, this is “the evolution of a very popular concept amongst Ferrari clients who want a real Ferrari with the practicality of rear seats for two additional passengers.” In contrast to the mid-engine 360 Modena, Ferrari’s least costly model that is equipped with a V-8 behind the seats, the 456M GT has a V-12 engine mounted up front. The list price for the 456M GT is (in 2001) $226,975, while the automatic-transmission GTA goes for $232,170. That makes the 456M Ferrari’s most expensive model in the U.S. market — at least until the 550 Barchetta goes on sale in spring 2001.

MPG City: 10 Highway: 15 – 16
Available Engines
442-hp, 5.5-liter V-12 (premium)

Transmissions
6-speed manual w/OD
4-speed automatic w/OD

0 to 60 time is about 5 seconds, which is about the same as my M-B SL600. The top end is faster and the quarter mile time is close to the same. Maintenance costs are higher than the Mercedes and insurance costs are probably just a little higher, but probably not much.



All in all, I would say it would be a nice upgrade. I think I could stroke my ego just a bit with this car!

No comments:

Post a Comment